Thursday, September 9, 2010

Sheh-pah*

*In class yesterday, we learned how to understand French people when they smoosh their words together. Examples: Shey-pah = Je ne sais pas, folk-tulle-sash: il faut que tu le sache... I'm thinking that's kind of like saying "dunno" for "I don't know"... maybe?

Well well well, the past few days have been interesting. Impressions of the first week of classes:
1) I should not have been placed in the highest level. I feel like I'm treading water in a class of good swimmers.
2) My language prof thinks he's really really funny. He does not think that Laura and I are really really funny.
3) My civilisation prof is great. She's like... a kindergarten teacher for adults... if that makes sense. Really clear, really enthusiastic, and full of real life examples of what she's talking about.
4) My monitrice, the UCO student who teaches our convo class/lab is lovely.
5) French makes even less sense when you're short on sleep (Mum, you're so wise).
6) 9-5 is reasonable for a job, not so awesome for school.
7) We have far too much homework.

Sorry for complaining. I know I'm super lucky to be here, and it's such a great chance to improve my French, so I'll cut it out. Another result of little sleep, so, completely my own fault.

To make up for it, here's a list of things I love:
1) My vélo - God bless it's little metal heart. It takes me to school/city centre in about 7 minutes (without traffic), it gives me exercise, and gives me seemingly more rights on the road than your average driver or pedestrian.
2) Friendly locals - everyone seems to be very happy to be chatty with foreign students.
3) The local style - the current big trend is a mix of golf club and yacht club. Everyone wears sweaters tied over their shoulders, sailor stripes, navy jackets, skinny jeans (boys and girls), pastel-coloured button downs, and brown leather flats. Nary a cotton hoody or Nike t-shirt in sight. Not that they need it, but I approve. 
4) The other CIDEF students! So eager and friendly
5) The local architecture - There are so many beautiful little details to be spotted; a stately wooden front door, an elegant iron gate, an intricate carving above a window...


I feel like my French is improving a little bit. I can carry on a conversation a little more smoothly now. My vocabulary is still pretty basic, but it's increasing. I find I can understand most of what people say to me if they're articulate. I'm afraid my friends and I are often too brain dead to speak French amongst ourselves after school, but we do try sometimes. And chatting with Madame and Monsieur A at dinner helps too.


Last night was 'Soirée C', which was a bar party hosted by the monitrices at the local student haunt K'lypso. Everyone was supposed to dress up as something beginning with C. Laura, Matt, Maria, and I went as Canadiens. I whipped out my knitted Canadian toque that I'd brought for the international night we're having later this month, and my Girl Guides sweater with the maple leaves on it. I think we were rather a hit, but it's possible that the pleasure people were showing was due to them mocking us... hard to tell. It was also Laura's bday yesterday, so we celebrated in style. 


Oh ya, and also! Laura and I went out for lunch, and on our way out of the building we heard the most amazing jazz piano coming from one of the lecture halls. We looked inside to see this real life Schroeder playing away, so utterly engrossed in his music. It was beautiful to listen to and amazing to watch. Laura wondered what he would do if someone were to tell him he could never play piano again. We figured he probably wouldn't survive. He finally broke his concentration when we giggled, and Laura struck up a little conversation, concluding it by inviting him to lunch with us. And he agreed! So off we went to La Gourmandise with our little French copain. I think he may have been a bit wary, but we had a great chat and a great meal. Laura tried to get him to join us at the bar later, but he wouldn't come. Dommage


Ok my friends and relations, I hope you enjoy the rest of your Thursday. Love you!



No comments:

Post a Comment